Online Master’s in Business Analytics
The Leavey School of Business is proud to offer a robust Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program, expertly curated by an advisory board of Silicon Valley leaders to develop the advanced analytical methodologies that successfully solve modern business challenges.
The demand for professionals trained in data science and analytics increased by 50% across a number of sectors in 2020,1 and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has listed data science as one of the top 20 fastest-growing occupations.2 By 2025, the global market for big data is predicted to grow to $229.4 billion, making now the best time to advance your business analytics acumen.3 Whether you want to help companies expand their capacity for big data, translate and demystify digitized business models, or uncover digital revenue opportunities, Santa Clara’s Online MSBA can prepare you to upgrade your skill set.
Master Business Analytics
The Online MSBA degree program helps you master the theories and practices needed to stand out as a leader at any point in your career path, in any organization. Here, Big Data defines big opportunities. You’ll learn to harness its power and use numerous types of data to carry out modern business intelligence. You will develop a deep understanding of statistics and optimization, business analytics, and information technology as you form an enduring foundation rooted in business acumen and data analysis.
Seize Big Opportunities in Big Data
The future of business will be shaped by data, and the business leaders who have a firm grasp of the tools and techniques of business analytics will be the sculptors. Modern firms collect and create volumes of data, and you’ll need the data analysis skills to extract insights and drive value from unorganized and sometimes arcane datasets.
The Online MSBA program will train you to use programming languages like SQL, Python, and R, database management, econometric tools, and machine learning. Choose from a wide range of elective courses that allow you to choose a business-forward or analytics-driven path. With our cutting-edge curriculum—which was designed by an advisory board of industry leaders—you’ll be trained to increase companies’ values by leveraging analytically driven decisions.
- 42 units of credit
- 17 courses
- Complete in just over 1 year
- 3-day on-campus residency
- Expedited admissions pathway available for SCU alumni
- 2 opportunities to start per year (fall and spring)
- Capstone (faculty-sponsored) or practicum (company-sponsored) learning component
- Fall Priority Application Deadline: August 1, 2021
- Fall Final Application Deadline: August 29, 2021
- Fall Term Start: September 20, 2021
MSBA Alumni Excel in Silicon Valley and Beyond
Admissions Requirements for the Online MS in Business Analytics
- Completed online application
- $148 application fee
- This fee will be waived for current SCU students and alumni
- 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- GMAT/GRE scores or waiver
- Official transcripts for undergraduate degree and any post-baccalaureate work
- Current resume or CV
- 2 letters of recommendation
- 3 business essays
- Personal admission interview
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a personal admission interview. Interviews can be conducted in person at Santa Clara University, via Zoom, or by telephone
- Applicants for whom English is a non-native language must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting TOEFL or IELTS test scores. This requirement will be waived for applicants who score above the 50th percentile on the GMAT or GRE verbal section
Alumni Expedited Pathway to Admission
We are proud to offer a preferred and expedited admissions pathway to SCU alumni who qualify. Students are welcome to apply via this pathway if they have graduated with a GPA of 3.0 or above from the Leavey School of Business, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Education and Psychology, School of Law, or School of Theology, or a GPA of 2.5 or higher from the School of Engineering or in any STEM-related discipline.
Expedited alumni applicants need only submit the online application and a current resume/CV for initial consideration. Leavey alumni will be evaluated solely on this basis, while alumni from other schools and departments at SCU may be contacted if our admissions team deems further documentation necessary to make a decision regarding your application (GMAT/GRE scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc.). Speak to an Admissions Advisor for more information.
A waiver for the GMAT/GRE requirement is available to applicants who have four or more years of full-time work experience and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited school with a cumulative GPA of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) for STEM majors or 3.5 or higher for non-STEM majors
- A master's, doctorate, or professional degree (JD, MD) with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited university
- A professional certification such as CPA or CFA (Note: Certificate programs do not count toward this requirement)
- A conferred degree that is quantitative in nature, e.g. math, engineering, or hard sciences (undergraduate or graduate)
- Five or more years of military enlistment
- Alumni of the Santa Clara University Leavey School of Business with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
No GMAT/GRE waiver is automatic, and an approved waiver enables consideration for the Online MSBA program but does not guarantee admission.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the Online Master's in Business Analytics is currently calculated at a per unit rate of $1,318. This rate is subject to change annually.
|Online MSBA Tuition||2020-2021 Academic Year|
|Cost per Unit of Credit||$1,318 (42 units)|
*The application fee will be waived permanently for SCU students and alumni who apply in the SCU Alumni Pathway, as well as veterans and active-duty military!
Merit-based scholarships are available for the Online MSBA. Please reach out to your Admissions Advisor for more information.
MS in Business Analytics Courses
At the Leavey School of Business we pride ourselves on our reputation for flexibility and customization. The Online MSBA program provides just that, an opportunity to tailor your curriculum to your specific needs with 10 units to be chosen from a selection of 13 elective courses. Whether you want to hone in on Big Data modeling and reinforcement learning, broaden your understanding of cloud computing and cloud computing architecture, or delve into natural language processing and deep learning, our program can be arranged to fit your needs.
Due to the heavily quantitative nature of the Online Master’s in Business Analytics, applicants should provide evidence of successful completion of coursework in the following subject areas during or following their undergraduate education:
- Statistics: Content should include topics in statistics, descriptive statistics, regression, probability, random variable and distributions, the central limit theorem, confidence intervals and hypothesis testing for 1 and 2 populations, goodness of fit, and contingency tables
- Calculus 1: Content should include differential and integral calculus; key concepts of limit, derivative, and continuity; derivatives in graphing and optimizing functions; and fundamental theorem of calculus
Applicants who have not completed these courses may be considered for provisional admission to the Online MSBA program, contingent upon their completion prior to enrolling in the program
Core Courses (32 units)
FNCE2402/MSIS2402 Math for Finance and Analytics (4 units)
MSIS 2503 Database Management Systems – Fundamentals of SQL (2 units)
MSIS 2507/IDIS 3802 Data Analytics with Python (4 units)
MKTG 2505 Marketing Analytics (4 units)
MSIS 2508 Machine Learning (4 units)
ECON 2509 Econometrics with R (4 units)
MSIS 2510 Prescriptive Analytics (4 units)
IDIS 3598 Practicum or Capstone (6 units)
Practicum projects are defined by external partners who provide a dataset and the question of interest. Starting from a real-world problem and using input from the partner, students will refine the problem to scope the project, apply analytical tools to generate insights, interpret the findings, summarize the findings in a report, and present them to the partner or faculty supervisor. Practicums occur over two quarters and are worth 2 units of course credit each quarter or 4 total units.
Capstone projects use data and examine analysis questions provided by faculty over the course of one quarter. Students refine the problem to scope the project, apply analytical tools to generate insights, interpret the findings, and summarize the findings in a final report. In certain situations, students with full- or part-time jobs or with an internship can approach their employers to find a suitable project if desired. In those instances, the employer and faculty would provide supervision.
Elective Courses (10 units to be selected from the following)
MSIS 2527 Big Data Modeling and Analytics
MSIS 2537 Reinforcement Learning
MSIS 2528 Applied Cloud Computing
MSIS 2529 Dashboards
MSIS 2539 Data Visualization
MSIS 2513 Database Management Systems - Design, Development & Administration
MSIS 2538 Cloud Computing Architectures
MSIS 2534 Natural Language Processing
MSIS 2536 Deep Learning
FNCE 2526/FNCE 2426 FinTech
FNCE2524/FNCE2404: Time Series Analysis Forecasting
FNCE2525/FNCE2408: Analytics of Finance
ECON 3000: Managerial Economics
The Online MSBA program starts with a three-day, on-campus residency weekend. This event will be the first time you will meet your faculty and fellow students face to face. You’ll also begin your first course, covering the first few modules of FNCE 2502 Math for Finance and Analytics with R.
Residency weekend offers a valuable opportunity to begin forging the bonds that make collaboration in Santa Clara’s online programs so stimulating and beneficial, as well as a chance to begin building your Silicon Valley network with a diverse group of motivated peers.
1. Retrieved on March 11, 2020, from lambdaschool.com/the-commons/data-science-job-growth-in-2021-and-beyond
2. Retrieved on March 11, 2020, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm
3. Retrieved on March 11, 2020, from marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/big-data-market-1068.html